Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ready or Not

The Florida honey flow season is kicked off by Citrus Pollen. It happens to be the one and only pollen I’m allergic too. No need to look at the map or the numbers in Pollen.com, My allergies started acting up this past weekend, and will be acting up for approximately the next 3 weeks. Citrus blooms are here……. pollen count is high but the weather is not great. Another cold front came into Central Florida this weekend.

I wanted to do a full inspection this weekend to make sure there were not swarm queen cells been prepare, but the weather just did not cooperate. Instead I made final preparations for the split. The queen from down under (Australian Queen) should be here later this week.

As soon as the queen arrives, the plan is to:


Make a double screen split
Move Split over TBH if successful OR Bring back together bees if it fails


Here is my split set up. This is the Beemax bottom that came with my Beginners Kit. Is been sitting to the side since I don’t use it. A 2nd screen about ¾ of an inch from the original screen was easily added. The whole set up will sit over my current hive for a few weeks. Just long enough for the new queen to be accepted, and the Nuc to be able to stand on its own.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.