Sunday, March 23, 2008

The week following the Split

All external observations indicate the Nuc is doing great. So good that I decided to forgo an inspection, that and the weather really was not great. It was cool with scattered showers, so why disturb them and get in the way of progress. Starting late Friday the activity has been what I captured in the slides below.

If I stand by the Nuc long enough I can catch one or two air bubbles coming up in the mason jar of the feeder, an indication that they are also feeding from it.

How is the main hive from which the split came from? Below are a few picture slides from this afternoon.
I took 3 frames from the main hive during the split…frame number 9 (pollen/Honey), frame number 8 (capped brood on both sides) and frame number 5 (capped brood on one side). My concern with the main hive……... I may not have weakened it enough to discourage it from swarming later in the season.

I’m glad I went with a Double Screen Split. There have been a few nights in which the temperature dipped under 60 and tomorrow night it’s supposed to be a low of 49. The main hive below should supply sufficient heat for the Nuc, and it definitely has provided protection. I’m very satisfied with how things look. The only draw back of the double screen split is that since the Nuc is on top it makes it a little complex to inspect the hive below. I’m debating on moving the Nuc over the TBH next weekend.

The TBH needs a few things before is completely ready to receive the Nuc. I need to weather proof the Top bars so I can place the Nuc over them, and I need to add some starter strips on the bars. I made a landing platform for the entrance, but didn’t have time to paint it due to the rain.

I think it’s crucial that the Nuc is in place for the main honey flow. Sometimes I sense the plants have begun the spring flow only the weather (too windy), and the cooler nights/days have not been ideal for the bees to fly. The Saw Palmettos are getting ready to bloom (One of he main sources of honey in Florida). How much Palmetto is in Florida??? A LOT!!!!!!!!! I know that’s all I have in the front of my property. Saw Palmettos are the buffer between my bee yard, the main road, the neighbors, and my house.

No comments:

Powered by WebRing.
Powered by WebRing.